Search This Blog

Wednesday 22 December 2010

In Praise of Cai Thompson - DP

"...The camera is the crucible of everyone's efforts..."

Concentration and precision - grace under pressure - Cai Thompson
















My Director of Photography on "I've Seen Angels" is a young man called
Cai Thompson.  Like all good DP's he's been a tremendous collaborator -
quite literally he's been with me through thick and thin - the first in
each day and more often than not the last out.  Most people don't see,
or are simply not around as the evenings turn into night and we're still
working through a particular day's rushes.  When I'm cheesed off or
frustrated, he knows when to make a wisecrack which makes me laugh.  He
takes me down a peg or two.  It is often needed.  He tends to wear
highly coloured shorts at all times.  He is seventeen years of age.

Sometimes a DP is as important as the director for the actors.  I've worked
on commercial films where the DP has often been the sounding board, the
counsellor, the guidance system for the whole set, and where the actors are
looking for the DP because they don't trust the Director.  I hope that
hasn't been the case in "I've Seen Angels".














I pretty much hate fancy camera work for the sake of it - it's very much about
what the script in front of you needs.  Simplicity, concentration, hand eye
coordination, technical excellence must be the pillars supporting each scene
and sequence.  Cai has all these qualities in abundance.  But then, like the
actors have to trust me, so I too, must trust his judgement.

Whilst shooting the film I'm trying to create a sensitive process with the
actors that demands quietness, concentration and confidence.  I'm directing,
while the DP is creating, capturing.  The camera must be simple, free and completely
synchronised with the action.  This allows the actors to create something, and the
camera registers this inner act of creation, which is hardly perceptible to
the untrained eye and ear.  This sudden spark of life in the scene before me gives me
ample reward for the hundreds of hours of creative preparation, trial and doubt.
I don't want to turn around and find out that the DP didn't capture it.  I need
precision and reliability, accuracy and understanding.  Cai gave it to me and
never let me down.
























There are lots of things that I'm proud and excited about in "I've Seen Angels".
Nothing makes me as proud or excited as the work of Cai Thompson.
He is seventeen year old.  He writes with light.  He's a cinematographer .

No comments:

Post a Comment